Friday, January 23, 2009

Off to Innsbruck / Week Recap

This week served to be much more productive at work. I was able to start re-writing everything to work in one tight, neat, organized interface.
I also was able to start getting back into a better workout routine. Starting with my first indoor LSG training. Which despite the promised 'fun', started out in a not so fun manner. The warmup and even the mat-work was great and certainly beneficial, but after that we played what I can only call Chutes and Ladders from hell. The board resembled more or less the c-a-l board, but on each spot was a number between 1-6 and these number corresponded to what fun activity that spot demanded. The activities were jump rope 90x (I couldnt jump rope when I was younger and it has only gotten worse with time, much worse), crawl and jump through a military style course 3x (maybe this is fun for little people, but my body doesnt do that at all), run across a balance beam 3x (another activity i cant do at all, and there was always a traffic jam behind me), and a few others that were not so torturing.
After that we played Zielball or something like that, and it was basically dodgeball with some weird rule modifications that I was not able to get my head around.
The night was redeemed when we played basketball, a sport I enjoy in theory, but given everyone in the states is so much better than myself at it, I have never been able to really enjoy playing it. However playing here, especially with a running group was great. I certainly was not the best player (I am truly terrible), but I was certainly top-half.

On thursday I went to dinner and a movie with Deniz and Adrianna (the other PhD students who started Sept 1 with me). We say Slumdog Millionare which was fantastic. It was the most excited I have been in a movie in awhile. I was really drawn in. I wish it was a true story, but oh well.
As for this weekend I am heading to Innsbruck with Jesus (a guy I met in the running group who works for Alstom) For what should be a great time skiing and enjoying apres-ski. The weather right now is rainy in swiss, so hopefully austria can do better.

No comments: